Tokyo champion Victor Axelsen and Thailand Ratchanok Intanon won the singles title 2022 Malaysian Open Sunday (July 3).
Intanon beat Olympic badminton gold medalists Chen Yufei to win the Kuala Lumpur women’s singles crown.
Intanon Won the first game 21-15 before China’s Chen hit back to dominate the second, which she took 21-13. The Thai shuttler took an early lead in round 3 and held off Chen’s fightback with an epic decision to take it 21-16.
It’s his first title since 2020.
Axelsen beat the second seed Momota Kento Japan beat Malaysia 21-4, 21-7 to win the men’s title.
Former two-time world champion Momota overcame the Danish world number one in the final.
Olympic gold medalist Apriani Rahayu won Indonesia’s women’s doubles title with new partner Siti Fadia Silva Ramadhanti.
World champions Takuro Hoki and Yugo Kobayashi (Japan) won the men’s doubles title.
Zheng Si Wei and China’s Huang Ya Qiong became the mixed doubles champions.
2022 Malaysia Open – Sunday 3rd July Singles Final Results
- Ratchanok Intanon defeated Chen Yufei 21-15, 13-21, 21-16.
- Victor Axelsen defeated Momota Kento 21-4, 21-7.
Thailand’s Ratchanok Inthanon after winning the singles final against Chen Yu Fei at the 2022 Malaysian Open on July 03, 2022 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Photo by Annice Lyn/Getty Images)
Image courtesy of Jabatan Penerangan Malaysia
2022 Malaysia Open – Sunday 3rd July Doubles Final Results
- Zheng Si Wei / Huang Ya Qiong (China) beat Dechapol Puavaranukroh / Sapsiree Taerarranachai (Thailand) 21-13, 21-18.
- Apriyani Rahayu / Siti Fadia Silva Ramadhanti (Indonesia) beat Zheng Shu Xian / Zheng Yu (China) 21-18, 12-21, 21-19.
- Takuro Hoki / Yugo Kobayashi (Japan) beat Fajar Alfian / Muhammad Rian Ardianto (Indonesia) 24-22, 21-16, 21-9.